Thursday 23 April 2015

Making of the prototype

Small test pieces complete, I now need to make some prototypes of the final size. I need to make holes in the clay to test if I can hang the pieces, test the maximum size, Ive measured the kiln and I can get away with 55cm max. I need to consider that after the firings (biscuit and separate glaze firing) that the clay will shrink so I need to make sure the small holes will be large enough to thread the string or wire needed for suspension. 
Red and white crank clay
55cm long



More testing with the Horizon, Im experimenting with a fine roll of clay inset into the cracked slab.


Having cracked the clay I worked out that if you turn the clay and roll it out it expands the cracks on the underside making the finished piece far more dramatic


Ready for biscuit firing, important to make sure theres minimal handling and the pieces lay flat, so I have managed to get the prime spot at the bottom of the kiln. 48 hrs of firing ahead.

Next, the wait…… and onto the glazing, this will be determined by the results from my small test pieces, an amalgomation I think of the best results.  

No comments:

Post a Comment