Monday 14 December 2015

The Final Piece

'Starting with the Light'
Oil and acrylic
100cm x 75cm

My theme is light, inspired by Edwardian inventor Thomas Edison. Im in pursuit of 'Framing Infinity' by creating an ethereal feel to the exhibition space with imagery and lighting.




'My invitation to you (the viewer) is to open the door into the darkness, make sure the door is closed behind you. This is now your space... take a few minutes for yourself. What feeling does this evoke for you?'



I didn't want to just hang the painting in natural light, this piece was more than just the painting. I wanted to add a second dimension of light. 





Inspired by James Turrell, I worked on developing back lighting fixed in place behind the false wall I built. With the same violet gel I 'single spot lit' the painting. This brought out the reds and movement in the oils to create imagery of the cosmos and infinity. As the viewers eyes adjusted to the light the painting moved and expanded.Im happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment