Tuesday 5 May 2015

Dennis Coulden - Potter & Sculptor (1932 - 2015)

Dennis Coulden
An English studio potter who discovered ceramics later in life. Having spent his career in the Brewing industry he resigned and went to study ceramics in Norfolk. Inspired by nature he developed the 'cracked pot' technique and hand built bowls and vessels. After much experimentation with glazes he was known for his turquoise glaze. Many people have collected his work over the years and he exhibited across Europe with great success.
Norfolk studio


'Inspiration for my work comes from the natural beauty of the West Norfolk countryside'
                                                                   Dennis Coulden



A selection of his work
Pieces are fired to stoneware and are a mixture of slab built, press moulded and thrown forms. He worked from his studio in Norfolk where he held masterclasses with students wanting to learn his techniques.

Norfolk studio
Inspiration:

Dad has been extremely influential in supporting my ambition to become an artist. He taught me his cracked pot technique and Im very slowly trying to master it. I most admire him for his patience and attention to detail, which is something I have to admit doesn't come naturally to me :O) I have dedicated my projects this term to him, using his turquoise as the key element in my Horizon paintings and for project III I have made an attempt at the ceramic cracked approach with a poignant turquoise horizon running through it. More work required but I have made a start!

Reference:
http://issuu.com/anglianpotters/docs/2011springweb
http://www.heathergrahampotter.com/diversity.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment