Wednesday 6 May 2015

Evaluation - Horizon in Suspension

Horizon in Suspension
This project can only be described for me as a roller coaster of emotion and energy, a massive step in my learning. I had been naive about the sheer work involved in working with ceramic. For the uninitiated, it is a complex web of process and a minefield of challenges. I certainly under estimated the time and energy this would take out of me. In hindsight I made far too many testers, approximately 25 of them. I wanted to research all possibilities with shape and glaze combinations. A great learning is don't try that many!!! Keep it simple and focus early in the process keep the process tight. I hadn't appreciated how temperamental glazes would be, a critical success factor for me was to emulate dads turquoise glaze as the horizon and get the cracking technique right. Im happy with the cracking, my masterclass with dad before xmas reaped its rewards. Referencing his secret recipe book of glazes we matched the components. Application is not easy, getting a smooth, even coating, not too thick, not too thin, no drips, no bubbles … I could go on I think you get the picture!
Tjerk van der Veens


Annie Turner

I researched other potters that focussed on organic approaches to their work, I really liked the natural, earthy physicality that Annie Turner, a river potter from Suffolk produces and Tjerk van der Veens expressive earth like sculptures displaying geological imagery, echoing the dynamics of the earth, this is what Im striving for.

Tjerk van der Veens 










When disappointment hits, (the glaze didn't work as I had it in my head) you think the world is about to end.. Im not normally dramatic but thats how it felt. It took me a few minutes to get my head around this perceived failure to realise it was presenting me with a gateway to take this work in a completely different direction - into the world of graphic art. I came to the realisation that just because its a project that needs a conclusion the final piece on this journey doesn't have to be perfect and infact its still work in progress, thats OK! I had to say it feels a bit of a relief.
A different direction into graphic imagery was where I went, photographing my ceramic and overlaying it onto photos I had taken in the Fens, My project had closed the 
loop on all three projects, I would like to say that was planned but it was serendipity.












This process of drawing the Fens pushed me through and  inspired me to work out how I was going to mount my ceramic horizon and suspend it. Originally I was going to hang it from the ceiling but I felt the string (organic in nature) was going to be a distraction from the piece itself, the Horizon needed to float and not be contaminated by other visuals. After discussion with a fellow artist I have constructed a wooden baton to fix to the wall (invisible for the viewer), Horizon in Suspension floats in the air just as I had imaged in the master plan.



 A personal journey that has taught me a huge amount about myself, I set out to create an installation that holds the viewer, simple, organic, infinite yet beautiful, I believe I have achieved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment