Monday 4 May 2015

The Phoenix …. the final stages of Project III

Cracked clay with horizon
55cm x 10cm

Im almost too exhausted to even type….. Im now in the final stages of project III. I have to say this is the most exhausting art creation I have EVER done! I had no idea how much emotional and physical energy was going to be required to create a 55cm x 10cm ceramic installation.Floating Horizons (x 4) in the kiln having been glazed and now fired. 



The doors of the kiln open and revealed…. a rather disappointing floating horizon, the glaze hadn't worked as well as the small testers. 



The all important turquoise glaze was dull, no vibrancy and the MS glaze which showed signs of being earth like and rustic came out dark and yes, dull. I was thrown into silent contemplation, I can't describe the disappointment I felt, yes I know firing is like russian roulette but this was important for me to get right, this was for dad, but its still OK, I can work with it.
Having laid out the final pieces on the table, I was comforted by lots of suggestions on how I could move this forward, I have to say there was just a lot of noise around me for several minutes but out of the fog came a complete change of direction - a genius suggestion from Abby Nichols, tutor and photographer extraordinaire - why not photograph the piece, maybe 2 and overlay the image onto a photo - a sort of virtual installation. Genius idea, just one problem I had no idea how to do it! Photoshop!! Ive never done it but how hard can it be …..

No comments:

Post a Comment