Monday 16 November 2015

Dark Spaces - James Turrell

An interesting discovery tonight looking through Turrells work. He developed 2 pieces called 'Dark Spaces' which where created with light and only could be seen once your eyes adjusted to the space. In my work for the 'Chequered History' exhibition I am exploring the perception of light and dark and have recreated an image I photographed in a dark room with a blow torch (I nearly melted the lens of my camera in the making!)I have recreated the imagery in canvas using acrylic paint but it feels there are similarities to that of Turrells - the main difference being my work is a little more obvious! The painting isn't finished as yet but Turrell is providing me with food for thought.

Sally Coulden
Photograph: Blow torch - 13 second exposure

Turrell
Serene - 1984
Turrell
Blind Sight - 1992

No comments:

Post a Comment