Monday 16 November 2015

Stone sculpture - giving it a go!!

I was lucky enough to successfully secure a Bursary from The Bristol Decorative and Fine Art Society which has allowed me to explore the world of stone carving. I'm really interested in sculpture and wanted to give it a go, of course I wanted to go large :0) no point in dithering about so have been lucky enough to be under the watchful eye of Kate Semple a wonderful stone mason and sculptor down in Somerset. 

I found myself an amazing piece of driftwood from a Welsh beach and decided why not turn it into stone :0). Blimey it's really physical work but loving it. Made a model from clay, chose a piece of Bath stone and hey presto!!! Well not quite that easy but I think I'm starting to get the hang of this 3D lark.

Here's a few pictures of progress , not quite finished. Looking very phallic but honestly it is driftwood!!!
My little model
Bath stone 
  

Starting to remove unwanted stone
Starting to get some shape
The master at work!!!


Slight resemblance don't you think??!!


No comments:

Post a Comment